Red Bean Paste with Glutinous Rice Ball Dessert
Posted by Admin Admin Feb 13, 2016 Uncategories 0 Comments
- Wash 100g red beans with cold water. Place the red beans into a big bowl of water to soak overnight. Make sure there is enough water to cover all the beans. For a better result, place it into the fridge to soak overnight.
- After Draining out the water, place the red beans into 1L of boiling water and continue to cook in high heat for 2 hours. Stir regularly to avoid the beans to stick to the bottom.
- After 2 hrs, if water is not enough, you can add more hot water. By now, the beans should soften and break apart and form a light paste consistency. If you prefer a more pasty, you can use a food masher and gently mash it up in the pot.
- Now add crystalised rock sugar to achieve the desired sweetness and continue to cook at low heat for 15 minutes. Note: do not add the rock sugar too early as it will overcook and turn sour.
- Lastly, add a small amount of grated fresh orange peel to compliment the sweetness and as well as giving the red bean an extra aroma. If you don’t have fresh orange, use the dried tangerine peel.
- Set the red bean paste aside for late.
- Now we can move onto the making the sweet rice ball. Firstly, bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add in the glutinous rice balls and continue to cook until they expand and swell up. Turn off the heat and cover the pot with the lid. Let the glutinous rice balls to simmer for 5 minutes and it’s done!
- When ready to serve, simply add the glutinous rice ball into the hot red bean paste.